POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : One of the greatest mysteries of screenwriting Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:12:17 EDT (-0400)
  One of the greatest mysteries of screenwriting (Message 135 to 144 of 144)
From: Tim Cook
Subject: Re: It has nothing to do with Islam, but ...
Date: 9 Jan 2014 02:15:54
Message: <52ce4caa$1@news.povray.org>
On 2014-01-08 23:10, Patrick Elliott wrote:
> Well... The problems I have with that as an argument for questioning
> their views on the subject is..

Hmm.  I'm not sure I'm questioning the views on the subject as outlining
that the views presented in that context aren't necessarily a pure
random sampling that can be extrapolated to the whole population.  There
are, without a doubt, a large number (far larger than there should be)
of females whose experiences are as bad as presented.  However, I posit
that the whole point of the site is to bring attention to those things
/happening/ vs. all the times where it doesn't happen, so there's
notable skew in that direction.

> Well, that and, one of the major points I am trying to get across is
> that the "male centric" view that sits over top of our culture already
> biases *everything*, including, historically, the interpretations of
> data, and/or even the collection of it, in such studies.

How much, I wonder, of Patriarchy is actively constructed by females?
Not just as a 'if you're not fighting to destroy it, you're supporting
it' thing, but directly working towards reinforcing its features?  Women
aren't just a passive element that are only there to be victims of The
System; much as some like to insist that women have no real agency
because their voices aren't heard, throughout history there is a *major*
impact from their actions, and they are just as complicit in 'how things
are' as men.  Is it so important to have your name in headlines or the
history books?

> Its a bias that is so pervasive that the *automatic* reaction of nearly everyone,
> male and female, when an assault happens, is to either joke about what
> "she" might have done, or question it, but not what the guy did.

That's the big point that Patriarchy is harmful to men, too; the reason
it's not questioned what the guy did is because it's taken for granted
in modern, Western society that males only think about sex and are
mindless monsters that have no rationality (while women are able to
magically control how men behave simply by what they wear and how they
present themselves).  Such a mindset is harmful to /everyone/, really.

--
T. Cook

Post a reply to this message