POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : One of the greatest mysteries of screenwriting : Re: Why the evil is evel? Don't ask - don't tell! Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:33:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why the evil is evel? Don't ask - don't tell!
From: Warp
Date: 10 Jan 2014 15:23:10
Message: <52d056ae@news.povray.org>
Nekar Xenos <nek### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> If a denomination contradicts the Bible, then they are wrong.

And that's what all denominations say about other denominations that
disagree with them. And the vast majority can out-argue you with
Bible passages all day long.

> In the Old Testament it was foretold that there would come a time that God
> would write his laws in their minds. This came into fulfillment when they
> were filled with the Holy Spirit.

That has zero to do whether the commandments given by God are still
in effect or not.

(Besides, the passage of Jeremiah you are referring to talks about the
people of Israel, not the gentiles. But of course you can interpret that
as liberally as you want, like all Christian denominations do with most
passages to suit their needs.)

> If you read the Bible you will notice that Jesus never stoned anyone - no
> Christian stoned anyone and no Christian told anyone to stone anyone.

Neither did he say that the law was forfeit or ended. On the contrary,
he says: "It is easier for heaven and earth to disappear than for the
least stroke of a pen to drop out of the Law."

> In fact the opposite happened - Christians were stoned because of their
> belief. Today Christians are jailed and tortured for their belief in
> Muslim countries and China.

And Christians have jailed and tortured others (and even themselves)
for their beliefs during the entirety of history. And in fact, in some
places are still doing it (given how witches and homosexuals are being
killed by Christians in many parts of the world, especially Africa.)

(I wait for your "no true scotsman" fallacy...)

> You are confusing punishment with morality.

No, I'm not. Morality has a lot to say about crime punishment. For
instance, the severity of the punishment should be correlated to the
severity of the crime, and no criminal should be treated or punished
in an inhumane manner.

Death penalty by stoning is a barbaric and inhumane punishment regardless
of the crime. It's egregiously inhumane for such "crimes" as working
on the sabbath or not respecting your parents.

The fact that he is (and probably you are) glad that we do not enact
such punishment anymore is clear indication that he *knows* how inhumane
and disproportionate, and therefore how immoral, the punishment is.

> God had His plan from the beginning - He didn't simply change His mind
> about what is right or wrong. If you read the law you should realize that
> it is not about stoning, but about knowledge of good and evil and the
> punishment of sin.

The penalty is still there, no matter how you try to twist its message.

> God knew that it would be too difficult for us mere humans to bear which
> is why He sent His Son to die in our place so that those who accept His
> sacrifice will not have to suffer Hell.

That doesn't make any kind of sense. Even if it did make any sense, it's
still bollocks. God did not sacrifice anything according to your theology.
Sacrificing is voluntarily losing something. So what exactly did God lose?
Nothing, that's what.

This isn't even going into the question of what kind of sick god would
create a hell where he sends his own creation to suffer indescribable
torment for all eternity because they didn't love him the right way,
while he just watches by, doing nothing.

Do you know what it's called when someone can watch someone else's suffering
and do nothing about it, even though it's fully in their power to end it?

--
                                                          - Warp