POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : One of the greatest mysteries of screenwriting : Re: Why the evil is evel? Don't ask - don't tell! Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:28:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why the evil is evel? Don't ask - don't tell!
From: Nekar Xenos
Date: 10 Jan 2014 14:46:07
Message: <op.w9hk6umwufxv4h@xena>
On Wed, 08 Jan 2014 13:14:59 +0200, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:

> John VanSickle <evi### [at] kosherhotmailcom> wrote:
>> He gave them in order to accomplish a number of purposes which He
>> regards as good and just.  However, now that those purposes have been
>> served, the commandments are no longer good and just; therefore they are
>> no longer in effect.
>
> "They are no longer in effect" if you pick&choose verses as you like,
> and ignore others that indicate that they are very much still in effect.
> Of course other branches of Christianity pick&choose in a different
> manner and think that they *are* still in effect (but come up with
> excuses as to why they cannot be enacted.) And I'm not making this up
> because I know of such denominations.

If a denomination contradicts the Bible, then they are wrong.
In the Old Testament it was foretold that there would come a time that God
would write his laws in their minds. This came into fulfillment when they
were filled with the Holy Spirit.

If you read the Bible you will notice that Jesus never stoned anyone - no
Christian stoned anyone and no Christian told anyone to stone anyone. In
fact the opposite happened - Christians were stoned because of their
belief. Today Christians are jailed and tortured for their belief in
Muslim countries and China.

> Anyway, from that, and from this:
>
>> I am glad that the commandments were not given to me, but whether
>> something is right or wrong does not depend on how I feel about it.
>
> it's relatively clear that you do not think that many of those
> commandments are good and moral because they clash with your own
> concept of morality.

You are confusing punishment with morality. Sin deserves punishment - if
you disagree, then you are condoning sin.

God had His plan from the beginning - He didn't simply change His mind
about what is right or wrong. If you read the law you should realize that
it is not about stoning, but about knowledge of good and evil and the
punishment of sin.

God knew that it would be too difficult for us mere humans to bear which
is why He sent His Son to die in our place so that those who accept His
sacrifice will not have to suffer Hell.

--
-Nekar Xenos-