POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Exam results Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:19:36 EDT (-0400)
  Exam results (Message 6 to 15 of 15)
From: Stephen
Subject: Re: Exam results
Date: 23 Aug 2013 17:45:44
Message: <5217d808$1@news.povray.org>
On 23/08/2013 7:44 PM, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:

> (Not that I expect my opinion to influence anything...)

No chance. There is too much money involved.

--
Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 23 Aug 2013 17:50:06
Message: <5217d90e$1@news.povray.org>
On 23/08/2013 10:28 PM, Warp wrote:
> One thing about exams that I have noticed is that the exact same difficult
> exam becomes much easier, even trivial, after several years of experience.

[snip]

> Of course there's the other side of the coin, though: There were many
> exams that I passed, and which I would nowadays flunk completely, because
> they have simply not been part of my life in any way, and therefore I have
> got no experience.

When you get older, you will know what you just said is true and why.

--
Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Le Forgeron
Date: 24 Aug 2013 01:50:02
Message: <5218498a@news.povray.org>
Le 23/08/2013 20:44, Orchid Win7 v1 nous fit lire :
>>> The problem with distributing grades along a bell curve, like that, is
>>> that in years where the class is full of genies, someone who has an
>>> otherwise good grasp of the theory ends up with a C, and years when the
>>> class is full of morons, you give an A to someone who doesn't merit one.

If you want to really be able to compare grade along years, the only
sure way would be to have all the classes (even 10 years after diploma)
to take (or retake) the same test. Due to the burden, you could end up
with a test every 5 years instead of one each season.
But it would provides accurate comparable values.
Let's have a national evaluation week !

> I still believe that a qualification - ANY qualification - should have a
> fixed set of requirements, and anybody who meets those gets the
> qualifications, regardless of what anybody else did in the same year.

That would works only for "Hard-sciences".
Litteracy, Poetry, Philosophy, artistic performance, and plenty of other
evaluations would still be subject to the appreciation of the evaluating
jury.

Post a reply to this message