POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Exam results : Re: Exam results Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:23:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Exam results
From: scott
Date: 29 Aug 2013 03:28:30
Message: <521ef81e$1@news.povray.org>
>> Anyway I'd suggest that the main use of school exam grades is to secure
>> a place at a college or university, so a relative measure is probably
>> all that's needed.
>
> Well, maybe.  If you buy into the idea that pre-uni instruction degrading
> isn't a problem.  An absolute measure can be used to uphold an absolute
> measure, and if the pre-uni schools aren't meeting it, then they need to
> up their game, rather than the universities lowering their standards.

Just by the nature of setting questions I think the standard over a
longer period (eg 10 years) would be easier to keep consistent. So you
could still look at the absolute scores averaged over the long term to
analyse the performance. Giving students relative scores will avoid them
being penalised by the year-to-year variations in the difficulty of the
questions.