POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Exam results : Re: Exam results Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:29:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Exam results
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 24 Aug 2013 03:58:54
Message: <521867be$1@news.povray.org>
> This makes me think: Why does this have to be so? Why couldn't we make
> students achieve that level of knowledge and experience so that they
> will trivially pass those exams with 100% score (for the simple reason
> that they outright *know* the answers by heart due to experience and
> practice)?

I'm going to say "because many students don't CARE about the subject
they're learning, they just want good grades". Notice I said "many", not
"all". But I know A LOT of people on my degree course appeared to
absolutely HATE computing. (So why are you on a computing course? Oh,
right - because you think there's going to be money in it...)

At school it's even worse; you get TOLD what you have to study, and
there's no choice in the matter.

> Of course there's the other side of the coin, though: There were many
> exams that I passed, and which I would nowadays flunk completely, because
> they have simply not been part of my life in any way, and therefore I have
> got no experience.

My mum thought it would be great fun to make me answer some website's
mock GCSE questions.

I'm not entirely sure how I got 6/7 for the History one, given that I
know nothing about history. Then again, it's multiple-choice, so you
have a 25% chance of getting each one right. Basically when it asks what
measure was proposed in such-and-such a year, just think which ones
sound too progressive.

For Maths I only got 6/7. This is due to me not knowing the cosine of

excuse me, one quarter of root-5 minus 1. Obviously...)

I scored poorly on my recent LPIC exam due to a number of factors. One
of them was the number of IPv6 questions. (Does anybody on Earth
actually *use* IPv6 yet?) Also partly due to several questions about
topics which are NOT IN THE BOOK! >_< So, totally worth buying the book
then. :-P