POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Is no-cost software irresponsible? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:22:53 EDT (-0400)
  Is no-cost software irresponsible? (Message 161 to 170 of 230)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: Is no-cost software irresponsible?
Date: 10 Aug 2013 15:35:12
Message: <520695f0@news.povray.org>
On Sat, 10 Aug 2013 15:02:02 -0400, Warp wrote:

> "Argumentum ad hominem" is a claim that tries to say that someone's
> argument is invalid or suspicious because of something objectionable
> about that person. In other words "you shouldn't listen to him because
> he is (something objectionable)".

I didn't say "argumentum ad hominem", I said "ad hominem attack", which
is different.

You are intentionally and deliberately calling my character into question
because I am disagreeing with you.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ad%20hominem

2: marked by or being an attack on an opponent's character rather than by
an answer to the contentions made

You are /not/ discussing the issue, you're saying things in response to
disagreements with your assertions that the ends justify the means by
saying things like "you make me sick".

And it's time you STFU.  Seriously, if that's your debating technique,
then you need to learn how to debate properly rather than resorting to
character attacks in a deliberate appeal to people's emotions to make
your point.

"If you don't agree that the millions of lives were worth the vaccination
program, then I don't even want to write the words that come to mind to
describe what you are, because it's nauseating to even think."

Yeah, because that's not appealing to people's emotions and is debating
based on the facts/merits of the argument you're trying to make.

Jim

Post a reply to this message