POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Is no-cost software irresponsible? : Re: Is no-cost software irresponsible? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:28:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Is no-cost software irresponsible?
From: clipka
Date: 10 Aug 2013 16:47:42
Message: <5206a6ee$1@news.povray.org>
Am 10.08.2013 01:37, schrieb Warp:

> If you agree that those millions of lives were worth the worldwide smallpox
> vaccination program, then you have not business in criticizing the
> worldwide polio vaccination program, or else you are just a hypocrite.
>
> If you don't agree that the millions of lives were worth the vaccination
> program, then I don't even want to write the words that come to mind to
> describe what you are, because it's nauseating to even think.

I tell you something sick:

Here in Germany, some decades ago there was a huge campaign pro Iodine:
To fight hypothyreosis, people were encouraged to use salt with added
Iodine, companies were encouraged to add Iodine to their food products,
and farmers were encouraged to add Iodine to the food of their
livestock. All for the good of the people, especially (but not limited
to) those suffering from undiagnosed hypothyreosis.

Today, in effect it's nigh impossible to buy any food products that have
natural levels of Iodine.

This is good for people who have an undiagnosed disposition to
hypothyreosis.

It's devastating though for people who have an undiagnosed
/hyperthyreosis/ - the excess Iodine can literally /kill/ them! And even
if those people are lucky enough to find a doctor who comes up with the
correct diagnosis, the most obvious and least invasive treatment - a
low-Iodine diet - is in practice nearly impossible; instead, the typical
treatment is to remove or destroy the thyroid gland, making the patient
dependent on artificial thyroid hormones for the rest of his life (not
to mention that a portion of the patients lose their voice or even their
life due to the surgery).

Without the artificial addition of Iodine to literally each and every
food product - which in effect boils down to forced medication of each
and every person - it would be the people with hypothyreosis who would
need treatment, but that would be as easy as changing their diet to food
with a high natural Iodine concentration, or in the worst case
artificially adding Iodine to /their/ food - instead of adding it to
/everyone's/ food.

I have someone among my relatives who suffers from this very problem.
That is something that makes /me/ sick.

/Forced/ medication? No, sir.

If people /want/ to get vaccinated, or at least allow themselves to be
/talked/ into being vaccinated, to protect /them/ from Polio or
whatever, let them. But do /not/ force medication - of any kind - onto
anyone against their will.

Sacrificing people's freedom to reject some medical procedure, in order
to try achieving some greater medical benefit for all, opens up a can of
particularly ugly worms we've seen crawling across Europe before.