POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Today's mirth Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:26:09 EDT (-0400)
  Today's mirth (Message 31 to 40 of 90)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: Today's mirth
Date: 7 Jun 2013 13:24:02
Message: <51b21732$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 07 Jun 2013 09:56:40 +0100, Stephen wrote:

> IM(ns)HO “bespoke” is a marketing ploy. It is used to give your client
> (customer) a feeling that they are getting something special, tailored
> to their individual and exacting requirements. As opposed to something
> out of the box or off the shelf, customised to fulfil their
> requirements. It harks back to the days, as you will all have read, of
> “gentlemen’s clothing”. When the only choices in “bought” clothing was
> ready made,
> handmade (modified readymade) and bespoke. Until recently it was only
> used by the chinless wonder type.

:)  Yeah, it does seem to be marketingspeak mor ethan anything.

> On a recent job in America it became common to hear Americans use it
> albeit self-consciously.

Interesting, because I don't think I've ever heard it in the US or used
by Americans before.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 7 Jun 2013 13:24:21
Message: <51b21745$1@news.povray.org>
On 07/06/2013 02:30 PM, Stephen wrote:
> Using Thunderbird it is the first choice.

Thunderbird insists that everything must be spelt the American way,
which is really quite annoying...

Post a reply to this message