POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Today's mirth : Re: Today's mirth Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:25:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Today's mirth
From: andrel
Date: 7 Jun 2013 16:50:09
Message: <51B2475F.1000003@gmail.com>
On 7-6-2013 1:30, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Thu, 06 Jun 2013 18:36:18 -0400, Warp wrote:
>
>> Orchid Win7 v1 <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
>>> OK. Now explain "there" instead of "their"
>>
>> Some people write "your" when they really mean "you're". This mistake is
>> kind of understandable.
>
> Not really.  If you know that "you're" is a contraction of "you are",
> it's very easy to see when it's being misused:
>
> "I think your wrong."
>
> "I think *you are* wrong."
>
> The error is clear as day - you're making a contraction and not using the
> punctuation that's necessary in a contraction.

My impression is that it is more common with native speakers. Probably
because they learn to speak English before they learn to write. For
those of us for whom it is a second language it is the other way around.

--
Everytime the IT department forbids something that a researcher deems
necessary for her work there will be another hole in the firewall.