POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Today's mirth : Re: Today's mirth Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:23:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Today's mirth
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 7 Jun 2013 13:26:53
Message: <51b217dd$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 07 Jun 2013 07:57:39 +0100, scott wrote:

>>> Some people write "your" when they really mean "you're". This mistake
>>> is kind of understandable.
>>
>> Not really.  If you know that "you're" is a contraction of "you are",
>> it's very easy to see when it's being misused:
>
> For me at least when I'm typing quickly I sometimes type words that
> sound the same or similar to what I'm meant to be typing. Mostly I catch
> these during a quick re-read but sometimes they slip through. As well as
> the obvious homophones I've put "to" instead of "do", "works" instead of
> "words" and things like that. It's not that I don't know the correct
> word, just that I typed it wrong. (LOL even then I had to correct "no"
> to "not" before hitting send...)

For me, fast typing tends to cause what I've started calling "typelexia"
- I transpose letters because of my typing speed (I'm a pretty quick
typist, don't remember what it was the last time I checked the speed, but
I know I can sustain over 100 WPM if I don't have to stop and think about
what I'm writing).  I've meant to learn to type using a Dvorak layout,
just to see how fast I can get going with that style, but because I'm
pretty quick on a QWERTY layout, I haven't taken the time.

But I don't tend to have problems with homophones, though I do tend to
"hear" what I'm writing in my head as I'm writing.

Jim