POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Today's mirth : Re: Today's mirth Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:26:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Today's mirth
From: Stephen
Date: 7 Jun 2013 15:18:04
Message: <51b231ec$1@news.povray.org>
On 07/06/2013 6:24 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> used by the chinless wonder type.
> :)   Yeah, it does seem to be marketingspeak mor ethan anything.

It always has been. It comes from the days when the nob's word was their
bond. Even if they did not pay their accounts for years.
Originally it meant fiancée. She was bespoke, or spoken for. IIRC

>> >On a recent job in America it became common to hear Americans use it
>> >albeit self-consciously.
> Interesting, because I don't think I've ever heard it in the US or used
> by Americans before.

No, you wouldn't. There were about a dozen of us Brits working on the
project in NM. Gee! we were "cute" with our funny English accents.
I through a wobblie in Walmart.

"I'm too old to be cute. Ma'am"

--
Regards