POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The Hobbit and high framerate Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:24:43 EDT (-0400)
  The Hobbit and high framerate (Message 32 to 41 of 41)
From: Francois Labreque
Subject: Re: The Hobbit and high framerate
Date: 7 Jan 2013 09:48:26
Message: <50eae03a$1@news.povray.org>
Le 2013-01-05 17:34, Le_Forgeron a écrit :
> Le 05/01/2013 22:57, Warp nous fit lire :
>
>>> Just to clarify: By "old European analogue TV", you mean the thing they
>>> only switched off a year or so ago, and which is still the standard
>>> framerate for (at least) region-2 DVDs?
>>
>> Just use the terms "PAL" and "NTSC". Easier that way.
>>
> Well... there was also Secam & Nicam... (nicam introduced "stereo"!)
>
> And for the place here, now it's, for DVB-T: mpeg-2 for free
> STD-resolution, mpeg-4 for HD-resolution & pay-with-decoder
> STD-resolution...
>
> STD: 720i, I presume.
> HD... something like 1080, i or p ?

STD: 480i (NTSC) or 576i (PAL).

HD: 720p or 1080(i or p).

Unless, of course, they use the abbreviations to mean something
completely different.

From: Warp
Date: 7 Jan 2013 10:34:03
Message: <50eaeaeb@news.povray.org>
scott <sco### [at] scottcom> wrote:
> > I was curious to see if I would experience the same, and what do you know,
> > that exact same thing happened here too! I had read this article before
> > going to see the movie, and was trying to see how the audience reacted to
> > the humor in the movie, and there indeed was signicantly more reaction in
> > the 2D version than in the 3D HFR version.

> There are several possible explanations for that effect, apart from the
> framerate difference. You'd need to do a proper experiment to confirm that.

Nah. Extrapolating from one or less examples has always worked perfectly.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Kevin Wampler
Date: 7 Jan 2013 22:27:55
Message: <50eb923b$1@news.povray.org>
On 1/6/2013 11:13 AM, Warp wrote

> You are probably not a brony, but I think that the current (ie. so-called
> 4th generation) series of My Little Pony is an excellent example of this

Agreed, it joins the likes of Avatar the Last Airbender, Invader Zim,
Powerpuff Girls, Samurai Jack, and Spongebob Squarepants asa show aimed
at kids which can appeal to adults as well.

Even so, I continue to be surprised at how robust the Brony fandom is.
I'd guess that 25% to 50% of the time I do a google image search for
anything something pony related shows up in the results.  It's almost as
if by this point there's a rule-34 analogue, but with ponification: "if
it exists, there's a pony version of it".  Honestly, it most makes me
think of what Trekkies probably would have been had the internet been
popular when TNG was airing.

Post a reply to this message