POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The Hobbit and high framerate : Re: The Hobbit and high framerate Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:33:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Hobbit and high framerate
From: Warp
Date: 9 Jan 2013 12:03:57
Message: <50eda2fd@news.povray.org>
Kevin Wampler <nob### [at] nowherenet> wrote:
> One of the things I've found interesting about it is that the extremely
> rapid creation and propagation of memes allowed by the internet has led
> (so it seems to me) to a change is the style of the memes.  In
> particular, memes which are extremely quick to digest (like image
> macros) seem to have a really high fitness in this sort of environment,
> and you seem them everywhere.

Indeed. It's not like it was difficult to create image macros in the 90's,
it's just that back then there was no efficient distribution channel, even
for people who had internet connection and their own web pages.

Back then there were little to no centralized forums or blogs (not to
talk about wikis) that were popular. By far the most popular was usenet
(which is nowadays dying a slow death), but it was not the optimal way
of distributing images nor have them widely seen.

It's funny to think that back in the mid-90's it was actually a rare
privilege to have internet access. Nowadays you have to try very hard
to *not* have access.

--
                                                          - Warp