POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The Hobbit and high framerate : Re: The Hobbit and high framerate Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:31:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Hobbit and high framerate
From: Warp
Date: 8 Jan 2013 13:37:20
Message: <50ec6760@news.povray.org>
Kevin Wampler <nob### [at] nowherenet> wrote:
> Even so, I continue to be surprised at how robust the Brony fandom is.
> I'd guess that 25% to 50% of the time I do a google image search for
> anything something pony related shows up in the results.  It's almost as
> if by this point there's a rule-34 analogue, but with ponification: "if
> it exists, there's a pony version of it".  Honestly, it most makes me
> think of what Trekkies probably would have been had the internet been
> popular when TNG was airing.

Some memes last a lot longer than others. Some memes die almost immediately
after they appear ("don't tase me bro!" would be a perfect example; it
became old almost the same day it appeared on the nets), other memes last
significantly longer, but still die sooner of later (for example l33t
sp34k was really k3wl for a long time in the 90's, but by now it has more
or less died completely, even among the very people who used it back then.)

There probably aren't many "eternal" memes that never die off (or at the
very least get relegated to a very small niche.)

It's curious (although in no way surprising) how technology affects the
type and spread of memes. The wide availability of free blog services,
and especially the availability of free video sharing services (YouTube
being by far the #1), something that was completely unthinkable in the 90's,
has changed the mem landscape considerably.

--
                                                          - Warp