POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Games Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:19:59 EDT (-0400)
  Games (Message 1 to 10 of 14)
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Subject: Games
Date: 29 Dec 2012 11:48:34
Message: <50df1ee2$1@news.povray.org>
OK, so a few days ago I reinstalled Psychonauts, and for the part few
days I've been playing it.

It turns out that back in 2011, they added some Steam integration to it.
Doesn't appear to have changed anything else, just that. Then again,
unlike some *other* games I might mention, Psychonauts has never been a
game in need of stability improvements or other bug-fixes. (It would be
nice to be able to *steer* though...)

I looked it up on Wikipedia, and appearently this game is not nearly as
old as I thought it was. They actually released it in 2005. (Frightening
thing: 2005 is actually a long time ago now.) The graphics aren't
exactly top-notch, and the controls are just horrible. The difficulty
curve gets almost vertical about half-way through, and 100% completion
is near impossible. And yet, I really love this game. Why is that?

Some games don't have a story. (E.g., Tetris. There is no story. You
just slot the blocks together.) But many games do have a bit of a story.
Usually, though, it seems like pretty much an after-thought.

Take, for example, Quake II. The only "story" is that aliens invade
Earth, so the US Marines go to invade the alien home-world. Somehow you
are the only guy who made it. Your mission? Kill everything that moves,
and maybe press a few buttons and find some keys and stuff. That's about
it, really. Oh, sure, between levels that little green-screen thingy
comes up to tell you where you just exited and what your next objective
is... But it's a strictly linear map. You can basically ignore that
entire video, and it doesn't make much difference.

Let's try another: HalfLife. The "story" is that a terrible accident
occurs, causing Earth to be invaded by aliens. Your job is simply to get
out alive somehow. Oh there is a *bit* more of a story this time; the
military has come to silence anyone who escapes. And then a bunch of
black-ops guys try to silence the military. And something about a
satellite and a nuclear warhead... But, again, you don't really have to
care if you don't want to. The story is optional.

Both of these are of course first-person shooters. But take something
like the excellent Abe's Oddessy. That's a 2D platformer (with some
delicious 3Dish visuals). Again, the "story" is that you're a persecuted
worker trying to escape from an oppressive life of slavery and liberate
your fellow workers. There is a little bit more to it than that, but
basically you spend most of the game climbing ladders and pressing
buttons and stuff. Again, it's nearly linear, so you don't really need
to care /why/ you're doing all this stuff; that's optional.

Not only is this stuff optional, but it /feels/ optional. It's like the
level designers decided what levels they were going to design, and then
tried to come up with a story to justify why you have to do this. And
the dialogue is delivered in a way that makes it sound like it's only
there to justify the next challenge.

"Yes, Dr Freeman. Somebody must go into the reactor and restart the
pumps. Naturally, you've have to battle past that giant creature out
there which is impervious to everything except the fanblades of the
reactor core. Of course, there's a dozen of us all standing around here
not doing anything, but we're *scientists*, we're far too chicken to
actually lift a finger to do anything about our plight. But you? You
have the hazard suit... Help us, you're our only hope!"

It's not to say that these are bad games, but rather that story is not
their primary focus. And to some extent, nobody seriously /expects/ a
mere computer game to have a real story to it.

Psychonauts is different. It delivers the story as if it means it. But
it doesn't do that thing some games do where it feels like the game just
wants to be a movie and you're getting in the way of the
perfectly-written script. It feels organic and lively. The characters
have actual personalities beyond "epic hero" and "cartoon villain". It's
surprisingly deep. And most of all... it makes you realise just how pale
everything else is by comparison.

Don't get me wrong; there are plenty of actual movies that have far more
depth to them than this little computer game. But it still does better
than I thought I'd see in a game.

Also... I love Black Velvetopia. It is a very beautiful place. And it's
also the level with the best psychology, in my opinion. After you
complete the level, you feel like you actually got to the bottom of the
guy's problems, and solved them. By contrast, Boyd still seems as mad as
ever when you're done. I am in awe of the level designers who managed to
model those bent and twisted streets though.

Interesting fact: I just completed the game, with 4 instances of POV-Ray
running in the background, and I didn't notice any performance loss. I
guess this game is just really light on the CPU!

Post a reply to this message

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWTFG3J1CP8