POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Games : Re: Games Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:34:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Games
From: Warp
Date: 22 Jan 2013 18:09:29
Message: <50ff1c29@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
> The Witcher 2? The auto-detection system suggest the *minimum* possible
> graphical settings for *everything*. And for a good reason! I can't make
> them much higher before it starts lagging noticeably. (Needless to say,
> if I put everything to max, the game is completely unplayable.)

> Are you freaking kidding me? Even games like Crysis 2 and Skyrim don't
> demand even a small fraction of that in their *top* graphical settings.
> This game is as heavy as those on its *minimal* graphical settings!

I read on the internets a tip that apparently if you have NVidia's
3D-Vision driver installed, it causes a big slowdown in The Witcher 2
for some reason, and that uninstalling said driver should help.

I tried uninstalling it, and put the game to the test: I turned almost
all settings on (including most of the "useless" settings, such as depth
of field, that I had to had off because I had to cut features to get a
decent framerate) and to maximum ("Ultra") and started the game...
And what do you know... It runs smooth as silk.

And man, does it look gorgeous. For example the volumetric light effects
are simply astounding (for example when you look directly at the sun
through a foggy atmosphere, every geometric detail obstructs the light
rays as they should...)

--
                                                          - Warp