POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Games : Re: Games Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:28:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Games
From: Warp
Date: 1 Jan 2013 06:54:38
Message: <50e2ce7e@news.povray.org>
I recently bought The Witcher 2 from Steam because it was on sale and it
has received very positive reviews from both critics and the public.

Now, my current PC might not be the absolute top-of-the-line, but it's
in no way a slouch either. Crysis? Hah, gimme a break. Skyrim? All
graphical settings on full, and smooth like silk, no problems whatsoever.
Crysis 2? Almost all graphical settings on full (just a couple of them
on second-to-max) and it runs smoothly.

The Witcher 2? The auto-detection system suggest the *minimum* possible
graphical settings for *everything*. And for a good reason! I can't make
them much higher before it starts lagging noticeably. (Needless to say,
if I put everything to max, the game is completely unplayable.)

Are you freaking kidding me? Even games like Crysis 2 and Skyrim don't
demand even a small fraction of that in their *top* graphical settings.
This game is as heavy as those on its *minimal* graphical settings!

Granted, the game has some pretty advanced new graphical innovations
that require a lot of resources, but it's not just them. All the other
more "traditional" settings (such as texture sizes, shadow quality,
LOD distance and so on) have to also be either at minimum or almost
minimum, or turned completely off, if I want it to run at a playable
framerate.

--
                                                          - Warp