POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Games : Re: Games Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:27:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Games
From: nemesis
Date: 31 Dec 2012 11:20:01
Message: <web.50e1ba70d1d9df83a7611990@news.povray.org>
oh, you wanna talk about games?  I just had this text ready to go just now...

hey, guys, long time no see.  Been  reading and playing on my android phone, so
let's talk about it? ;)

any old time Myst fans there?   I'm sure at least Warp is in.  played something
rather nice on smartphone these days, I'd actually say the best smartphone game
I've ever played, thanks to the simple interface:  The Lost City, by Fire Maple
Games.

Damn god job on emulating myst play mechanics on touch screen, plenty of (fair)
puzzles, and besides is a very good game on its own.  Got stunningly beautiful
photoshopped natural scenery and while no fmv, it's got rotoscoped animations
here and there.  Music is ambient stuff that don't get in the way.  And no, it's
got nothing to do with Lovecraft, it's on an island like myst.

it's a mere $0.99 on android.  it's way shorter than myst, sure, but a fair
enough price for what it provides.  Been playing it obsessively for 2 days and
am about to finish it I guess, but well worth a trip.

it's an adventure game though and as soon as you hit the end, that's about it.
Action games are another matter though and may provide virtually infinite
gameplay.  Only better when there's a strategy element to it.  Thus, I think
they have a winner with Cartoon Wars, by Gamevil, like the previous game
available on all smartphones I guess.

It's a tower defense game on a side scroll view where your tower produces gold,
mana, powerups and soldiers from diverse categories to defend and attack the
enemy tower on the opposite end.  The more mana you have, more powerful warrior

mayhem involved and I don't recommend on anything but more modern cpus, at least
dual-core:  my 1ghz single-core motorola milestone 2 that was once top of line
can barely handle it all with lots of slowdown and stuttering... still, the game
is too fun and enjoyable to put to rest.

it's free, but requires permanent connection, so if you have limited bandwidth,
it's kinda expensive... :p

this whole text swyped from the phone too.  because it can be done... ;)