POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I should not have looked it up. Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:13:21 EDT (-0400)
  I should not have looked it up. (Message 1 to 10 of 82)
From: waggy
Subject: I should not have looked it up.
Date: 1 Aug 2012 02:40:01
Message: <web.5018cf39d879b9bb9726a3c10@news.povray.org>
Well, I defended my thesis the other day and learned that my professors all
despise my writing style. One committee member advised me to reorganize and
rewrite the entire thing, with these specific instructions, "All your sentences
should be subject-verb-object and no more than three lines long."

After I calmed down I thought about how to go about doing this. I can do shorter
sentences averaging around two dozen words each. Heck, while chopping it up I
can probably work in some Dr. Seuss rhythms, and maybe even a limerick or two
(because I tend to be perverse like that). But the other requirement seems more
bothersome. This simple sentence structure is what, maybe third grade  level?

I don't know anything about kids, so I looked it up, and quickly found a K-12
guide to writing level expectations. Children are expected to use more than one
type of sentence structure in their written work by the end of second grade. I'm
supposed to rewrite my master's thesis as if I'm seven years old.

Wow.

A student learned that at his school
He should write like a blathering fool
Only subject-verb-noun
Like some brain-damaged clown
or a JavaScript markov-chain tool

Post a reply to this message

> Well, I defended my thesis the other day and learned that my professors all
> despise my writing style. One committee member advised me to reorganize and
> rewrite the entire thing, with these specific instructions, "All your sentences
> should be subject-verb-object and no more than three lines long."

Wait, what? You wrote a sentence that was /more/ than 3 lines long? What
are you, a lawyer? ;-)

> A student learned that at his school
> He should write like a blathering fool
> Only subject-verb-noun
> Like some brain-damaged clown
> or a JavaScript markov-chain tool

I gotta get me some Markov chains some day...

Post a reply to this message

> I gotta get me some Markov chains some day...

I was thinking of slapping one on my bike, heading on down to the brewpub...
It's hard to say where I might end up after that...

Huh. Maybe that's what's already on it...

Post a reply to this message