POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I should not have looked it up. : Re: I should not have looked it up. Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:33:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I should not have looked it up.
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 1 Aug 2012 09:42:26
Message: <50193242$1@news.povray.org>
Le 01/08/2012 15:30, Warp a écrit :
> waggy <hon### [at] handbasketorg> wrote:
>> Well, I defended my thesis the other day and learned that my professors all
>> despise my writing style. One committee member advised me to reorganize and
>> rewrite the entire thing, with these specific instructions, "All your sentences
>> should be subject-verb-object and no more than three lines long."
>
>> After I calmed down I thought about how to go about doing this.
>
> You should make *all* of your senteces three lines long, and make it so
> that the subject is at the very beginning of the sentence and the verb and
> object are at the very end, or the subject and verb at the beginning and
> the object at the end (and the middle filled with qualifiers).
>
> In fact, better split all your infinitives so that you have "<subject> to"
> at the very beginning, and "<verb> <object>" at the very end of the
> three-line sentence.

What ? and no qualifier for <object> ? no context adjustement for <verb>
? <subject> is getting all the qualifiers... it's unfair.

No digression with relative proposition*s* inside a sentence ?

No articulation with "and", "or", "despite"... ?

Do they expect automatic translation to be successful on your thesis ?