POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The end of an era Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:18:03 EDT (-0400)
  The end of an era (Message 31 to 40 of 52)
From: Cousin Ricky
Subject: Re: The end of an era
Date: 9 Aug 2012 14:15:01
Message: <web.5023fcb8cf7a08f585de7b680@news.povray.org>
> On 09/08/2012 05:28 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
> > Because while it would be illegal to have a religious "test" to hold
> > public office, candidates who don't espouse their love for Jesus (or in
> > rare cases, just God is enough - for the Jewish and Muslim elected
> > officials), 79% of the people in the US are Christians who think that
> > there's something wrong with those who don't believe in a supernatural
> > deity, angels, or other superstitious nonsense that's commonly held
> > (don't let them hold some "weird" superstitious nonsense like
> > Scientology, though - because their brand of superstition is always
> > "superior" to that of the crazy people), and they won't vote for someone
> > who they think is "wrong in the head" when it comes to which sky fairy
> > they believe in.
>
> Man, I thought that was just a myth... The USA is seriously that messed up?

It's no myth.

A couple of the lies leveled at President Obama are that he is a Muslim or that
he is an atheist.  The fact that these lies are even worth telling indicate the
kind of atmosphere here.  (Another lie about President Obama is that he is a
progressive.  I only wish that one were true.)

Michele Bachmann (who was a serious contender for the Republican nomination for
president) recently spun a great tale about how our government has been
infiltrated by the Muslim Brotherhood.  (The Muslim Brotherhood claims to be
unaware of this development, but maybe that's just part of the ruse.)  Many
Republicans, including former presidential candidate John McCain and the speaker
of the House told Bachmann that she was out of line, but just when you thought
sanity might break through in that party, fellow former candidates Rick Perry
and Rick Santorum came out and defended her.  And make no mistake, Bachmann has
the solid backing of the voters in her district.

It has been trendy for politicians, including presidential candidates, to state
that our problems are too great for man to solve, and that we must hand them
over to the Almighty.  In other words:

   "I cannot solve your problems, therefore, you should vote for me!"

And this is actually a selling point.

Post a reply to this message

On Thu, 09 Aug 2012 14:08:56 -0400, Cousin Ricky wrote:

> A couple of the lies leveled at President Obama are that he is a Muslim
> or that he is an atheist.  The fact that these lies are even worth
> telling indicate the kind of atmosphere here.  (Another lie about
> President Obama is that he is a progressive.  I only wish that one were
> true.)

Actually, I think there's probably a very good chance that Obama is
culturally Christian but religiously atheist.  Of course, he could never
admit that because it would be political suicide.

> It has been trendy for politicians, including presidential candidates,
> to state that our problems are too great for man to solve, and that we
> must hand them over to the Almighty.  In other words:
>
>    "I cannot solve your problems, therefore, you should vote for me!"
>
> And this is actually a selling point.

The other selling point (used mostly by Republicans, though never
explicitly stated) is "Government is inefficient; let us prove it.  Vote
for us!"

Jim

Post a reply to this message