POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Google Fiber Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:32:09 EDT (-0400)
  Google Fiber (Message 11 to 20 of 55)
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Subject: Re: Google Fiber
Date: 2 Aug 2012 15:05:55
Message: <501acf93$1@news.povray.org>
>> The prices look pretty insane though.
>
> what is really insane, and brace yourself:
>
> with this kind of high-speed connection you'll have HD content on the fly.
> Movies, TV or games, whenever you want from whatever device you want.  Wanna
> watch "Avatar" now?  No prob, just click away and start watching.

That's a nice /idea/... except that whoever is serving the content will
be charging you very large fees for this service.

> Wanna play
> the latest nextgen HD game?  No need to buy the latest and most expensive
> console or GPU, or download any executable, just click away and start playing
> right away on you inexpensive android device.

How the heck would that work?

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 2 Aug 2012 15:39:42
Message: <501ad77e@news.povray.org>
> Our 3 Mbps DSL is $49.95/month.  In the US, ISP charges tend to be a bit
> more expensive.

I wonder why. Here in Finland internet connections tend to be laughably
cheap. For example I have a 10/2 Mbps connection that costs me 5 euros
per month.

(Ok, it's a bit more complicated than that, but it's still laughably cheap.
You see, there's an internet connection by default in all the flats of this
housing cooperative, which is part of the rent(*), and by default 1/1 Mbps, as
part of a deal with the ISP. Increasing it to 10/2 Mbps costs just 5 euros
per month more.)

(*) Well not "rent" per se. I think the closest term I can find with google
is "condominium payment" or "condo fee". But this same housing cooperative
has rental housing with the same deal.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

> > what is really insane, and brace yourself:
> >
> > with this kind of high-speed connection you'll have HD content on the fly.
> > Movies, TV or games, whenever you want from whatever device you want.  Wanna
> > watch "Avatar" now?  No prob, just click away and start watching.
>
> That's a nice /idea/... except that whoever is serving the content will
> be charging you very large fees for this service.

netflix is just an inexpensive R$ 14 here in Brazil.  Now the fast connection is
up to you, but it's not that hard.  I confortably watch SD netflix with nothing
but a 3G cellphone connection! o_0

> > Wanna play
> > the latest nextgen HD game?  No need to buy the latest and most expensive
> > console or GPU, or download any executable, just click away and start playing
> > right away on you inexpensive android device.
>
> How the heck would that work?

they send you video frames and you send them command inputs.  Continuously.

Post a reply to this message

>> Our 3 Mbps DSL is $49.95/month.  In the US, ISP charges tend to be a bit
>> more expensive.
>
> I wonder why. Here in Finland internet connections tend to be laughably
> cheap. For example I have a 10/2 Mbps connection that costs me 5 euros
> per month.

Maybe in Finland the "Damned Last Mile" is typically shorter than in the
USA.

Post a reply to this message

>> That's a nice /idea/... except that whoever is serving the content will
>> be charging you very large fees for this service.
>
> netflix is just an inexpensive R$ 14 here in Brazil.  Now the fast connection is
> up to you, but it's not that hard.  I confortably watch SD netflix with nothing
> but a 3G cellphone connection! o_0

Presumably Netflix is only possible due to absurd levels of image
compression though. Higher bandwidth lets you send pictures with less
compression, but then you're putting more load on the server streaming
the data. That isn't going to be cheap.

>>> Wanna play
>>> the latest nextgen HD game?  No need to buy the latest and most expensive
>>> console or GPU, or download any executable, just click away and start playing
>>> right away on you inexpensive android device.
>>
>> How the heck would that work?
>
> they send you video frames and you send them command inputs.  Continuously.

I severely doubt that even a gigabit link would have sufficiently low
latency for this to be feasible.

(Hell, I have a 100 mbit *LAN* and VNC is still laggy as hell...)

Post a reply to this message

Am 02.08.2012 21:59, schrieb Orchid Win7 v1:

>>> How the heck would that work?
>>
>> they send you video frames and you send them command inputs.
>> Continuously.
>
> I severely doubt that even a gigabit link would have sufficiently low
> latency for this to be feasible.
>
> (Hell, I have a 100 mbit *LAN* and VNC is still laggy as hell...)

On a typical point-to-point link between a gamer's computer and the
internet provider, the data transfer rate has absolutely, positively
/nothing/ to do with latency. (Typical LANs with plenty of nodes are a
totally different story due to packet collisions.)

Post a reply to this message