POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Google Fiber : Re: Google Fiber Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:16:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Google Fiber
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 2 Aug 2012 15:59:07
Message: <501adc0b$1@news.povray.org>
>> That's a nice /idea/... except that whoever is serving the content will
>> be charging you very large fees for this service.
>
> netflix is just an inexpensive R$ 14 here in Brazil.  Now the fast connection is
> up to you, but it's not that hard.  I confortably watch SD netflix with nothing
> but a 3G cellphone connection! o_0

Presumably Netflix is only possible due to absurd levels of image
compression though. Higher bandwidth lets you send pictures with less
compression, but then you're putting more load on the server streaming
the data. That isn't going to be cheap.

>>> Wanna play
>>> the latest nextgen HD game?  No need to buy the latest and most expensive
>>> console or GPU, or download any executable, just click away and start playing
>>> right away on you inexpensive android device.
>>
>> How the heck would that work?
>
> they send you video frames and you send them command inputs.  Continuously.

I severely doubt that even a gigabit link would have sufficiently low
latency for this to be feasible.

(Hell, I have a 100 mbit *LAN* and VNC is still laggy as hell...)