POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Google Fiber : Re: Google Fiber Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:17:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Google Fiber
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 2 Aug 2012 17:07:02
Message: <501aebf6$1@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 02 Aug 2012 19:34:59 +0100, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:

>>> Interesting. I wonder if wages are comparably higher...
>>
>> I found this:
>>
>> http://blog.thesalarycalculator.co.uk/paye/tax/comparison-of-uk-and-
usa-
>> take-home/
>
> I made this:
>
> http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=average+income+Kansas
>
> On current exchange rates, that looks like considerably more money than
> I will ever earn.

Well, you keep self-selecting out of positions that might get you a
decent salary by not applying for them.  We've had that discussion before.

>>> Just looked it up. £145/year for a TV license. (That's around
>>> £12/month.) If you use Freeview, this is the only recurring cost.
>>
>> Yeah, I knew it was about £145 (£145.50 IIRC).  But you don't get 600+
>> channels of garbage, either. ;)
>>
>> But comparatively speaking, you get off pretty cheaply.
>
> Heh. I can still remember when I was a teenager people telling me that
> "in America, you can buy a CD for just £5!" (That's 3x cheaper than the
> UK.) I always wondered whether there was actually a shred of truth to
> such an outlandish claim...

You *could* look at amazon.com and see that it is in fact true.  In fact,
some are even cheaper than that.  Then you wouldn't have to wonder if it
was true.  You'd know.

Of course at that price, you're generally not talking about the
soundtrack to a recently-released film.

Jim