POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Google Fiber : Re: Google Fiber Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:27:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Google Fiber
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 2 Aug 2012 17:10:45
Message: <501aecd5@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 02 Aug 2012 15:39:42 -0400, Warp wrote:

>> Our 3 Mbps DSL is $49.95/month.  In the US, ISP charges tend to be a
>> bit more expensive.
>
> I wonder why. Here in Finland internet connections tend to be laughably
> cheap. For example I have a 10/2 Mbps connection that costs me 5 euros
> per month.

Haven't you heard?  The free market solves all problems.  Competition
drives prices down, and deregulation is key to the success of the free
market.

At least, that's the mantra here.  And since we're in the United States
of America, it *must* be true, because we're the GREATEST NATION IN THE
UNIVERSE!!!@!@!@@!@!@!@

We have better healthcare, better 'net connectivity, better teeth, and
better food, and our students are #1 in the world at everything.  USA!
USA! USA! USA!

Just ask anyone who lives here.

(sorry if my sarcasm wasn't coming through ;) I get tired of hearing
"we're #1" when we're NOT - but the constant declarations of our
superiority in everything mean that we don't actually take the time to
improve things like infrastructure, health care, etc.)

> (Ok, it's a bit more complicated than that, but it's still laughably
> cheap. You see, there's an internet connection by default in all the
> flats of this housing cooperative, which is part of the rent(*), and by
> default 1/1 Mbps, as part of a deal with the ISP. Increasing it to 10/2
> Mbps costs just 5 euros per month more.)
>

> (*) Well not "rent" per se. I think the closest term I can find with
> google is "condominium payment" or "condo fee". But this same housing
> cooperative has rental housing with the same deal.

It'd be what is referred to here as an 'association fee' (as in a
homeowner's association).

Jim