POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The US and gay marriage Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:28:24 EDT (-0400)
  The US and gay marriage (Message 1 to 10 of 30)
From: Warp
Subject: The US and gay marriage
Date: 11 May 2012 13:32:26
Message: <4fad4d2a@news.povray.org>
I'd say that there are three levels of a country not recognizing gay
marriage, from loosest to strictest:

1) The law simply doesn't recognize gay marriage as legal. (In other words
   gay marriage simply doesn't exist as a legal institution.)

2) Gay marriage is actually banned and explicitly illegal.

3) Gay marriage is banned at the consitutional level. In other words,
   not just the law, but the constitution itself declares it as illegal.

  The last one is the strongest form of ban, as it makes it the most
protected ban that there can be. It's also a travesty. It's one thing
that a country's law just doesn't recognize gay marriage, and a completely
different thing for it to be illegal at the constitutional level. Using
the constitution to explicitly limit people's freedom like this is an
affront to what constitutionalism is all about. This is not what a
constitution is for. It doesn't matter what your opinion on gay marriage
may be, that doesn't change anything.

  So guess how many state constitutions in the United States explicitly
ban gay marriage? Just take a guess.

  Answer here:
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/north-carolina-voters-banned-gay-marriage-civil-unions-011158194.html

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

>    I'd say that there are three levels of a country not recognizing gay
> marriage, from loosest to strictest:
>
> 1) The law simply doesn't recognize gay marriage as legal. (In other words
>     gay marriage simply doesn't exist as a legal institution.)
>
> 2) Gay marriage is actually banned and explicitly illegal.
>
> 3) Gay marriage is banned at the consitutional level. In other words,
>     not just the law, but the constitution itself declares it as illegal.
>
>    The last one is the strongest form of ban, as it makes it the most
> protected ban that there can be. It's also a travesty. It's one thing
> that a country's law just doesn't recognize gay marriage, and a completely
> different thing for it to be illegal at the constitutional level. Using
> the constitution to explicitly limit people's freedom like this is an
> affront to what constitutionalism is all about. This is not what a
> constitution is for. It doesn't matter what your opinion on gay marriage
> may be, that doesn't change anything.
>
>    So guess how many state constitutions in the United States explicitly
> ban gay marriage? Just take a guess.
>
>    Answer here:
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/north-carolina-voters-banned-gay-marriage-civil-unions-011158194.html

I've said it here before, there is no watertight definition of a 'man'
and a 'woman', hence the whole debate is void. You might as well write
in a constitution that pi is equal to 3.

(and then I realized that this is the conventional interpretation of 1
Kings 7:23. I spend a few entertaining minutes reading all sort of
attempts to explain it away. But I also was reminded that there has been
a failed attempt to put exactly this the constitution of Ohio.)

--
tip: do not run in an unknown place when it is too dark to see the
floor, unless you prefer to not use uppercase.

Post a reply to this message

> I've said it here before, there is no watertight definition of a 'man'
> and a 'woman'

It's called a penis.  If you got one of these, you're a man and is supposed to
put it to good use with someone who lacks it, hereon called a woman.  If you
don't, you begin to whine and complain and try to legislate in favor of 2+2
being 5 or just getting rid of the damned thing...

Post a reply to this message

>    I'd say that there are three levels of a country not recognizing gay
> marriage, from loosest to strictest:
>
> 1) The law simply doesn't recognize gay marriage as legal. (In other words
>     gay marriage simply doesn't exist as a legal institution.)
>
> 2) Gay marriage is actually banned and explicitly illegal.
>
> 3) Gay marriage is banned at the consitutional level. In other words,
>     not just the law, but the constitution itself declares it as illegal.
>
>    The last one is the strongest form of ban, as it makes it the most
> protected ban that there can be. It's also a travesty. It's one thing
> that a country's law just doesn't recognize gay marriage, and a completely
> different thing for it to be illegal at the constitutional level. Using
> the constitution to explicitly limit people's freedom like this is an
> affront to what constitutionalism is all about. This is not what a
> constitution is for. It doesn't matter what your opinion on gay marriage
> may be, that doesn't change anything.
>
>    So guess how many state constitutions in the United States explicitly
> ban gay marriage? Just take a guess.
>
>    Answer here:
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/north-carolina-voters-banned-gay-marriage-civil-unions-011158194.html

Some of this is depressing. However, one needs to realize that its right
wing legislators getting most of this passed, that if it does get voted
on, they lie to make it happen, and that the majority of people don't
believe in what the actual law ends up saying, when they finally realize
they have been lied to. The result of this whole bloody mess is that the
morons doing it are digging their own graves, its only a matter of time
until this happens, not to mention that they not only don't *get* the
idea that they should drop the shovel, they have decided to double down
and buy bigger shovels.

They are also finding out the terrifying fact, which they still hope
isn't actually true, that when people can find out the truth, it doesn't
matter how many lies you can buy. If anything, the more you buy, the
less you are believed by the non-gullible that you already duped. Which
is strange, its almost the exact thing they "claim" everyone from AGW
proponents, to evolutionist are doing to conspire against the "truth".
You know.. spending vast amounts of money, including tax money, to
promote pure bullshit. You would think using the very tactic you have
spent your entire career whining that everyone else is doing wouldn't...
I don't know, make people wonder about your own honesty, when you start
doing the exact same thing you accused them of?

Then again, logic to these people is a bit like air is to someone on the
bottom of the ocean... lol

Post a reply to this message