POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The US and gay marriage : Re: The US and gay marriage Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:30:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The US and gay marriage
From: andrel
Date: 11 May 2012 15:11:53
Message: <4FAD647A.7020809@gmail.com>
On 11-5-2012 19:32, Warp wrote:
>    I'd say that there are three levels of a country not recognizing gay
> marriage, from loosest to strictest:
>
> 1) The law simply doesn't recognize gay marriage as legal. (In other words
>     gay marriage simply doesn't exist as a legal institution.)
>
> 2) Gay marriage is actually banned and explicitly illegal.
>
> 3) Gay marriage is banned at the consitutional level. In other words,
>     not just the law, but the constitution itself declares it as illegal.
>
>    The last one is the strongest form of ban, as it makes it the most
> protected ban that there can be. It's also a travesty. It's one thing
> that a country's law just doesn't recognize gay marriage, and a completely
> different thing for it to be illegal at the constitutional level. Using
> the constitution to explicitly limit people's freedom like this is an
> affront to what constitutionalism is all about. This is not what a
> constitution is for. It doesn't matter what your opinion on gay marriage
> may be, that doesn't change anything.
>
>    So guess how many state constitutions in the United States explicitly
> ban gay marriage? Just take a guess.
>
>    Answer here:
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/north-carolina-voters-banned-gay-marriage-civil-unions-011158194.html

I've said it here before, there is no watertight definition of a 'man'
and a 'woman', hence the whole debate is void. You might as well write
in a constitution that pi is equal to 3.

(and then I realized that this is the conventional interpretation of 1
Kings 7:23. I spend a few entertaining minutes reading all sort of
attempts to explain it away. But I also was reminded that there has been
a failed attempt to put exactly this the constitution of Ohio.)

--
tip: do not run in an unknown place when it is too dark to see the
floor, unless you prefer to not use uppercase.