POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Universal Turing Machines Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:25:29 EDT (-0400)
  Universal Turing Machines (Message 11 to 20 of 27)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 7 Messages >>>
From: Kevin Wampler
Subject: Re: Universal Turing Machines
Date: 7 Apr 2012 17:17:43
Message: <4f80aef7$1@news.povray.org>
On 4/7/2012 10:28 AM, Darren New wrote:

> That's why real computers can do things that
> Turing machines can't

Consider both Turing machines and "real" computers require very similar
encoding of a problem in order for a computation to be performed, what
are you viewing as the critical distinction between them?  After all
both essentially represent a problem as a string of symbols from an
alphabet.

Real computers can, of course, interact with the physical world in a way
that a TM can't, but I imagine that's not your point since it's a little
like commenting that there's no mathematical algorithm which returns a
sandwich as the result of it's computation.

Post a reply to this message