POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Universal Turing Machines : Re: Universal Turing Machines Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:21:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Universal Turing Machines
From: Darren New
Date: 8 Apr 2012 18:17:26
Message: <4f820e76$1@news.povray.org>
On 4/8/2012 11:50, Warp wrote:
> Darren New<dne### [at] sanrrcom>  wrote:
>> A TM can calculate an answer *isomorphic* to the answer of an arbitrary
>> problem, but it can't solve the actual problem as stated.
>
>    I don't really understand what the difference is.
>
>    The only isomorphism I'm familiar with is graph isomorphism,

"isomorphic" means there's a one-to-one mapping from one thing to another
thing. But that doesn't make them the same. It just means there's a mapping.

So a WAV file might be isomorphic to the position of the speaker at each
given sample, but that doesn't mean a WAV file is an actual sound. It can be
mapped to an actual sound.

A Turing machine can decompress a representation of an MP3 file into a
representation of where the speaker would be at each given moment, but it
can't actually play the music.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Oh no! We're out of code juice!"