POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Universal Turing Machines : Re: Universal Turing Machines Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:19:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Universal Turing Machines
From: Darren New
Date: 8 Apr 2012 14:26:00
Message: <4f81d838$1@news.povray.org>
On 4/8/2012 9:16, Kevin Wampler wrote:
> On 4/7/2012 3:06 PM, Darren New wrote:
>> On 4/7/2012 14:17, Kevin Wampler wrote:
>>> require very similar encoding of a problem
>>
>> I disagree that the encodings are similar.
>>
>>> in order for a computation to be performed, what are
>>> you viewing as the critical distinction between them? After all both
>>> essentially represent a problem as a string of symbols from an alphabet.
>>
>> Take, for example, quantum computers, for which this is untrue.
>>

> I was thinking more of existing computers, but you make a fair point.

Well, the encoding in a real computer consists of varying levels of
electrons, movements of electrons, and/or positions of magnetic moments. In
a Turing machine, they're symbols. Real computers are analog.

> still find the definition of "calculation" you're implicitly using a pretty
> strange though, but to each their own.

Well, Turing machines were intended to offer a definition of computability.
So clearly Turing himself thought anything isomorphic to a computation also
counted as a computation. I just found it amusing that there re things we
have our computers do every day that a Turing machine can't do, including
programming universal turing machines.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Oh no! We're out of code juice!"