POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Universal Turing Machines : Re: Universal Turing Machines Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:21:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Universal Turing Machines
From: Kevin Wampler
Date: 8 Apr 2012 22:14:54
Message: <4f82461e$1@news.povray.org>
On 4/8/2012 11:25 AM, Darren New wrote:
> I just found it amusing
> that there re things we have our computers do every day that a Turing
> machine can't do, including programming universal turing machines.

I think perhaps this is the crux of the difference in out viewpoints.  I
don't consider a "normal" computer as any more capable of programming a
UTM in the sense you seem to mean it than a normal TM is.  Both have to
operate on some encoding of the TM that the initial program is for, and
I don't see why binary digits represented by electrical means are any
less of an encoding than abstract symbols on a tape.