POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Ancient history Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:22:36 EDT (-0400)
  Ancient history (Message 21 to 28 of 28)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: Ancient history
Date: 6 Mar 2012 16:53:11
Message: <4f568747@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 06 Mar 2012 21:46:18 +0000, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:

>>> Yes, but you can perfectly well get tower servers with that too. So
>>> comparing that to a rack-mount server would seem to nullify this
>>> point.
>>
>> I've never seen a tower server with hot-pluggable power supplies or
>> hot- pluggable PCI.  (Doesn't mean they don't exist, but I've yet to
>> see one).
>
> Our old server towers had hot-swap PSUs. In fact, one of the tests in
> the disaster recovery plan verification procedure that I wrote was to
> physically unplug one and make sure the server doesn't die. ;-)

I'd buy that.

> No hot-swap PCI though; IIRC, it had ISA, not PCI.

I had some of the first Proliant 6500 servers to come off the assembly
line - the hot plug PCI was a nice feature, but we never actually needed
to use it.

>>> Yep - usually because when you /do/ need it, you find out it isn't
>>> very good. ;-)
>>
>> That's also usually true. :)
>
> Ah, you too have bitter experience, I see. :-)

Well, right now I don't have health coverage at all because I'm just
doing contract work.

But yeah, I've had situations where insurance coverage really didn't help
much.

I've also had experiences where support was less than stellar on hardware
and/or software. :)

Hard to work in this industry and not have that happen, sadly.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

>>> That's also usually true. :)
>>
>> Ah, you too have bitter experience, I see. :-)
>
> Well, right now I don't have health coverage at all because I'm just
> doing contract work.
>
> But yeah, I've had situations where insurance coverage really didn't help
> much.
>
> I've also had experiences where support was less than stellar on hardware
> and/or software. :)
>
> Hard to work in this industry and not have that happen, sadly.

Forget /this/ industry; just "industry". Tried getting warranty support
on your car? It doesn't fare much better.

It still amuses me that I just bought a new phone for £80 and they
offered to charge me £6/week for insurance. Or I could... just buy a new
phone? For a fraction of the cost? And no danger of the insurance not
covering it? Gee, let me think about that for a moment... :-P

Post a reply to this message

On Tue, 06 Mar 2012 22:00:38 +0000, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:

>>> Ah, you too have bitter experience, I see. :-)
>>
>> Well, right now I don't have health coverage at all because I'm just
>> doing contract work.
>>
>> But yeah, I've had situations where insurance coverage really didn't
>> help much.
>>
>> I've also had experiences where support was less than stellar on
>> hardware and/or software. :)
>>
>> Hard to work in this industry and not have that happen, sadly.
>
> Forget /this/ industry; just "industry". Tried getting warranty support
> on your car? It doesn't fare much better.

I've had good experience with my car - even now that the manufacturer
(Saturn) has gone belly-up.  Of course, the car is out of warranty now
(as a '99 model), but when it was under warranty, I never had a problem -
which is one reason why I bought two cars from them in succession.

The guys who do the work on it now used to run the dealer's service
center, so I still get the same level of service.  I'm really pleased
with that. :)

> It still amuses me that I just bought a new phone for £80 and they
> offered to charge me £6/week for insurance. Or I could... just buy a new
> phone? For a fraction of the cost? And no danger of the insurance not
> covering it? Gee, let me think about that for a moment... :-P

Yeah, that kind of 'extended warranty' is nothing but a scam.  I have
only once bought it, and it was as much a waste of money as I thought it
would be (I was buying a router to put alternative router firmware on and
thought I might brick it, so having the warranty seemed like a good
idea.  It wasn't - the reason I bought the router in question was because
it was very difficult to brick....)

Jim

Post a reply to this message