POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Ancient history : Re: Ancient history Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:25:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ancient history
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 6 Mar 2012 17:28:30
Message: <4f568f8e$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 06 Mar 2012 22:00:38 +0000, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:

>>> Ah, you too have bitter experience, I see. :-)
>>
>> Well, right now I don't have health coverage at all because I'm just
>> doing contract work.
>>
>> But yeah, I've had situations where insurance coverage really didn't
>> help much.
>>
>> I've also had experiences where support was less than stellar on
>> hardware and/or software. :)
>>
>> Hard to work in this industry and not have that happen, sadly.
>
> Forget /this/ industry; just "industry". Tried getting warranty support
> on your car? It doesn't fare much better.

I've had good experience with my car - even now that the manufacturer
(Saturn) has gone belly-up.  Of course, the car is out of warranty now
(as a '99 model), but when it was under warranty, I never had a problem -
which is one reason why I bought two cars from them in succession.

The guys who do the work on it now used to run the dealer's service
center, so I still get the same level of service.  I'm really pleased
with that. :)

> It still amuses me that I just bought a new phone for £80 and they
> offered to charge me £6/week for insurance. Or I could... just buy a new
> phone? For a fraction of the cost? And no danger of the insurance not
> covering it? Gee, let me think about that for a moment... :-P

Yeah, that kind of 'extended warranty' is nothing but a scam.  I have
only once bought it, and it was as much a waste of money as I thought it
would be (I was buying a router to put alternative router firmware on and
thought I might brick it, so having the warranty seemed like a good
idea.  It wasn't - the reason I bought the router in question was because
it was very difficult to brick....)

Jim