POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Ancient history : Re: Ancient history Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:28:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ancient history
From: Francois Labreque
Date: 9 Mar 2012 09:37:15
Message: <4f5a159b$1@news.povray.org>
Le 2012-03-08 09:01, Invisible a écrit :
>>> It seems more like rack
>>> mounting is a "premium feature", and you have to pay a serious amount of
>>> money for it.
>>
>> And guess what - there happens to be a reason for this ;-)
>
> That's kind of what I'm asking about.
>
>> You know, people who rack-mount things usually demand some features
>> (besides mounting brackets) the non-rack-mounting people just don't care
>> about.
>
> I fail to see why putting a £2 keyboard with some of its keys missing
> into a slidy draw makes it worth £200, but OK.
>
>>> I'm saying, not knowing how the batteries are different, I can't say
>>> whether or not that justifies the price difference. It might do, I don't
>>> know.
>>
>> Obviously they're different in how fast you can charge them, no?
>
> I meant what's physically different about the batteries that makes them
> perform better.
>
> If they work better because the electrodes are made of solid gold, then
> yeah, that'll be why they're more expensive. :-P (Although... damn...
> according to my chemistry, that shouldn't work AT ALL!) If they charge
> faster because the charge management chip is different, then... there's
> really no reason for a price hike.

If only there was a way to get that information from the website I
linked in the previous post...

Replacement battery pack for the home unit:
http://www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=RBC17

Replacement battery pack for the rackmountable unit:
http://www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=RBC34L

The RBC34L is about 3 times as heavy than the RBC17 that should be your
first clue...  3 times the number of batteries = 3 times the price, no?

Secondly, the RBC34L is hot-swappable, that means additional circuitry,
and design that could very well account for the rest of the price
difference.

You also need to understand that they probably sell fewer rackmountable
units than they sell home units, therefore the production fixed costs
have to be recouped on a smaller number of units sold, also contributing
to higher prices.

It's possible that APC is screwing their corporate customers, but there
are quite a few perfectly valid reasons besides price-gouging to justify
the higher prices.