POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : PIPA and SOPA Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:28:41 EDT (-0400)
  PIPA and SOPA (Message 11 to 20 of 188)
From: Warp
Subject: Re: PIPA and SOPA
Date: 20 Jan 2012 14:16:21
Message: <4f19bd84@news.povray.org>
> Maybe for you.  We have this thing here in the US called "free speech"
> which means that the government cannot pass laws that restrict speech
> here.  But SOPA/PIPA and similar laws (DMCA, anyone?) allow content to be
> removed from the Internet (or would allow, in the case of laws not passed
> yet) merely on the word of someone claiming copyright.  The burden of
> proof is on the alleged infringer, not on the alleged copyright holder.

  In principle if a company sends a DMCA takedown notice eg. to YouTube,
if the alleged infringer makes a counter-claim then YouTube is obliged
to restore the material without question. It is then up to the copyright
holder to pursue the situation further via legal means. (YouTube cannot
start judging if something is or isn't copyright infringement because
else they'll lose their "safe harbor" status that protects them from
being sued for distributing copyrighted material.)

  One of the main drawbacks with this system is that it's a breach of
confidentiality rights. That's because if you want to issue a counter-claim,
you have to include your full personal details (name, address...) for the
claimant to see. This could, in principle, be misused by nefarious parties.
(And in fact, it has been misused. There are concrete examples.)

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 14:16:21 -0500, Warp wrote:

>   In principle if a company sends a DMCA takedown notice eg. to YouTube,
> if the alleged infringer makes a counter-claim then YouTube is obliged
> to restore the material without question.

That's not consistent with what I've heard - the alleged infringer can
take legal action, but many users of YouTube are individuals who don't
have the resources to go up against a big media company's lawyers.

Of course, I may not have heard the way it actually works, too.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

> On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 14:16:21 -0500, Warp wrote:

> >   In principle if a company sends a DMCA takedown notice eg. to YouTube,
> > if the alleged infringer makes a counter-claim then YouTube is obliged
> > to restore the material without question.

> That's not consistent with what I've heard - the alleged infringer can
> take legal action, but many users of YouTube are individuals who don't
> have the resources to go up against a big media company's lawyers.

  No, the counter-claim can be made by the alleged infringer online (YouTube
even offers you directly instructions on how to do so) and YouTube has to
automatically restore the video, no questions asked.

  Of course the copyright holder can then pursue it further if it wants,
but the role of YouTube ends there. (Naturally if you made a spurious
counter-claim and the copyright holder pursues, I'm assuming you'll get
a harsher sentence if found guilty.)

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 15:21:48 -0500, Warp wrote:

>> On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 14:16:21 -0500, Warp wrote:
>
>> >   In principle if a company sends a DMCA takedown notice eg. to
>> >   YouTube,
>> > if the alleged infringer makes a counter-claim then YouTube is
>> > obliged to restore the material without question.
>
>> That's not consistent with what I've heard - the alleged infringer can
>> take legal action, but many users of YouTube are individuals who don't
>> have the resources to go up against a big media company's lawyers.
>
>   No, the counter-claim can be made by the alleged infringer online
>   (YouTube
> even offers you directly instructions on how to do so) and YouTube has
> to automatically restore the video, no questions asked.

That's interesting, I wasn't aware of that.  Thakns.

>   Of course the copyright holder can then pursue it further if it wants,
> but the role of YouTube ends there. (Naturally if you made a spurious
> counter-claim and the copyright holder pursues, I'm assuming you'll get
> a harsher sentence if found guilty.)

Perhaps, though I suppose if the rights are actually in question, then
you probably wouldn't get a harsher sentence.  It would make a difference
if you made a counter-claim in the hopes the rights-holder wouldn't
bother pursuing it vs. there being an actual question of ownership.

Jim

Post a reply to this message