POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : PIPA and SOPA : Re: PIPA and SOPA Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:16:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PIPA and SOPA
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 20 Jan 2012 21:12:02
Message: <4f1a1ef2@news.povray.org>
On 1/20/2012 3:45 AM, Invisible wrote:
> I do not know much about how US law works. (Hell, I don't know much
> about how UK law works!) But I do wonder if the people behind this
> *actually* believe it will work, or whether they know damned will this
> will have no effect on piracy, and that's just a smokescreen in the
> first place... Perhaps I have become too cynical?

All I can say is, see my other last post. They have already "used" this
tactic of killing ICANN DNS data, to close sites. It a) failed, since
they where back up less than 24 hours later, under a new name, and b)
didn't matter in terms of the "US funds" clause they tried to put in
these things, since they where not in the US, and therefor either didn't
need that, or where providing the content free, so where not selling to
anyone in the US in the first place, where a transaction might happen.
The super dumb comes from the presumption that they shouldn't have to
have just cause, or evidence, or a court order, or anything else,
presumably, other than some moron's "anonymous tip".