POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : PIPA and SOPA : Re: PIPA and SOPA Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:26:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PIPA and SOPA
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 20 Jan 2012 15:23:51
Message: <4f19cd57$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 15:21:48 -0500, Warp wrote:

>> On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 14:16:21 -0500, Warp wrote:
>
>> >   In principle if a company sends a DMCA takedown notice eg. to
>> >   YouTube,
>> > if the alleged infringer makes a counter-claim then YouTube is
>> > obliged to restore the material without question.
>
>> That's not consistent with what I've heard - the alleged infringer can
>> take legal action, but many users of YouTube are individuals who don't
>> have the resources to go up against a big media company's lawyers.
>
>   No, the counter-claim can be made by the alleged infringer online
>   (YouTube
> even offers you directly instructions on how to do so) and YouTube has
> to automatically restore the video, no questions asked.

That's interesting, I wasn't aware of that.  Thakns.

>   Of course the copyright holder can then pursue it further if it wants,
> but the role of YouTube ends there. (Naturally if you made a spurious
> counter-claim and the copyright holder pursues, I'm assuming you'll get
> a harsher sentence if found guilty.)

Perhaps, though I suppose if the rights are actually in question, then
you probably wouldn't get a harsher sentence.  It would make a difference
if you made a counter-claim in the hopes the rights-holder wouldn't
bother pursuing it vs. there being an actual question of ownership.

Jim