POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : PIPA and SOPA : Re: PIPA and SOPA Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:26:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PIPA and SOPA
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 20 Jan 2012 21:59:32
Message: <4f1a2a14$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 19:04:46 -0700, Patrick Elliott wrote:

> Seriously though, the biggest thing is the, "deny you the ability to
> even pay your bills, by cutting off the ability to transact in the US."

They already did that to wikileaks.  These bills don't make that
possible, there are already laws that make that possible.

A big part of the problem here in the US is that we do tend to
overlegislate everything.  Take driving while talking on a cell phone or
driving while texting.  Distracted driving laws already cover that, but
we need to pass more laws to make these specific things illegal?

I guess we also need laws that explicitly make it illegal to drive while:

1.  Eating a cheeseburger (and then one for tacos, and one for [...])
2.  Putting on makeup
3.  Shaving
4.  Brushing your teeth

etc, etc, etc.

I guess we need *something* to keep our legislators busy, it's not as if
they spend a ton of time doing stuff to actually make things better.
It's either "let's argue about things and get nothing done" or "let's
pass laws that no sane person gives a crap about".

Jim