POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Is this the end of the world as we know it? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 14:29:22 EDT (-0400)
  Is this the end of the world as we know it? (Message 241 to 250 of 545)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: Is this the end of the world as we know it?
Date: 8 Oct 2011 21:58:26
Message: <4e90ffc2$1@news.povray.org>
On 10/8/2011 14:44, Jim Henderson wrote:
> Windows Server 2000 as a domain controller.  If you lose your
> administrator password, you're hosed.  You're reinstalling.

Um, that's a good thing, you know. You're not supposed to recover from that.

My laptop has an encrypted drive. If I forget my password, I can't get to
it. That's not a flaw, that's a design goal.

> Half the Windows machines wouldn't boot.  All the *nix and NetWare
> machines (and AS/400s et al) booted more or less without any issue at all.

Never had that problem, myself.

On the other hand, I have had the power go out without warning 20 minutes
into a 30-minute compile on a mainframe. When the power came back, the
compile finished in 10 minutes. Something you won't see Linux *or* Windows
doing.

> It's an inconvenience.  An annoyance.

No it's not. Why would it be?

> Something that's far too often
> required on Windows.

Not any more, really. I can't remember the last time an upgrade asked me to
reboot.

> Sorry, *that's* not troubleshooting.  That's problem avoidance.

True. But it isn't a whole let better on Linux, unless you're a developer.
On Windows, the problem gets automatically reported back to the developer
anyway, if you set it up that way. :-)

> Relatively recent being "in the last 10 years or so".  That's about 2-3
> technological generations.

Sure. Just saying, it was other systems making it easier that drove Linux to
doing this, methinks.

> I might as well name Windows faults based on experiences exclusively with
> Windows 3.1.

I'm not describing faults. I'm describing "catching up with other more
popular systems."

>> Is it included standard in Linux? ;-)
>
> No, but at least one of the tools is a free tool to download and use.

Methinks you missed my joke. Earlier you were talking about dev tools on
Windows not counting because they had to be downloaded.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   How come I never get only one kudo?

Post a reply to this message