From: Darren New
Date: 8 Oct 2011 22:19:29
Message: <4e9104b1$1@news.povray.org>
On 10/8/2011 18:05, Jim Henderson wrote:
> I didn't know I could install Adobe Acrobat, Flash, or other third party
> software from Windows Update. ;)

You can, if it passes Microsoft certification requirements. I saw
instructions somewhere for setting it up with Microsoft.

> (That's actually what I was talking about - not about driver installs)

And device drivers aren't third party software? Some of the DRM plug-ins are
similar as well.

>>> Getting the software makers to agree might take some work,
>>
>> And that is the problem. That, and commercial entities don't really want
>> their software in Windows Update where people could install it without
>> paying for it. The model really only works for free software.
>
> The software in question I'm talking about is available gratis as it is.
> Like Flash, Acrobat Reader, Java, etc.

Sure. But people giving away free software want to be in your face about it,
not as a silent background install. There's a reason that Adobe plasters
their icon on your desktop on every update regardless of the fact you never
start it without a file.

>>> but then again, Adobe has Acrobat Reader in most distributions'
>>> official repositories.
>>
>> Probably because Adobe doesn't have to deal with it. They just have to
>> give permission.
>
> So why not something like that for Windows, too?

Sure. Feel free. Go ahead. :-)  The point is that it costs Microsoft real
money to provide that service, and people generally don't want to use that,
because Microsoft controls it too much.  Commercial entities don't like
that, but they'll put up with it if that's the only way to get their free
software in front of their target audience.

If you want to start your own Windows repository for free software, go right
ahead. I suggest you talk to google about how they work their updates,
because it saves a lot of bandwidth.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   How come I never get only one kudo?