POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Bastion Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:26:56 EDT (-0400)
  Bastion (Message 23 to 32 of 32)
From: clipka
Subject: XP
Date: 31 Aug 2011 15:05:42
Message: <4e5e8606$1@news.povray.org>
Am 31.08.2011 10:39, schrieb Invisible:

> Quake 2. No XP.
>
> HalfLife. HalfLife: Opposing Force. Nope, no XP.
>
> HalfLife 2, EP1, EP2... No XP.
>
> Portal. No XP.
>
> Team Fortress 2. No XP.
>
> Call of Duty 4: No XP.
>
> Modern Warfare 2: No XP.
>
> OK, so that's a list of almost every computer game I've ever played. :-P

Ah, so the only computer game genre you've ever played is ego-shooters,
plus one ego-shooter spin-off. Granted, they only very rarely have the
concept of experience points.

Actually, the concept of XP is, to my knowledge, indeed limited to the
so-called "RPG" (roleplay game) genre.

The basic idea behind XP (and the common element in computer "RPG") is
that as you progress in the game, you unlock new skills (or improve
existing ones) over time; but instead of unlocking all of them according
to a fixed schedule as you go ahead, RPGs let you choose from a number
of various skills; you'll typically never be able to choose all of them,
so you'll usually specialize in some area(s) to fit your style of play.
For instance, you may choose skills that will typically allow you to
pick off your enemies one by one without them knowing what hits them (or
even avoiding them altogether), while limiting your options in case they
do spot you. Or you may choose to not bother about stealth, and instead
choose to improve your strength and stamina to carry heavier gear and
sustain more damage. (Just to give an example; usually the skill system
of an RPG is much more elaborate than this. Imagine a concept like the
player classes of TF2, but with lots more fine-tuning and improvement
over time.)

In virtually all RPGs, you acquire "experience points" for accomplishing
tasks, such as killing monsters or solving puzzles; once your
accumulated XPs reach a certain threshold, you advance to a new
"character level" (also known as "leveling up"), which means that you
may add or improve skills again.

Post a reply to this message