POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Tumblr, Images and Copyrights Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:18:25 EDT (-0400)
  Tumblr, Images and Copyrights (Message 11 to 20 of 36)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: Tumblr, Images and Copyrights
Date: 8 Aug 2011 12:29:07
Message: <4e400ed3$1@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 08 Aug 2011 16:40:22 +0200, Ive wrote:

> Am 08.08.2011 06:16, schrieb Jim Henderson:
>> Contact enq### [at] tumblrcom with references to the uncredited use of
>> your work and ask that they deal with it.
>>

> Yes. It is just not my way to run to the authorities when I have a
> problem with someone. I am considering it but I'm still hesitating.

Well, it seems to me you have two choices.

1.  Do nothing and just continue to be pissed about it
2.  Since you've contacted those who have violated your copyrights, you
can escalate to the site owners or to law enforcement.

Law enforcement is by its very nature a complaints-driven business.  They
don't tend to enforce laws that nobody has complained about.  (That's
something I've been told by people who work in law enforcement)

You did a reasonable thing by trying to discuss the situation with those
who actually engaged in the copying.  Since they've been non-responsive,
you're really left with just those two choices (or you could 'get over'
being pissed about it, which is just a variant of #1).

> Also I'm wondering, if the people responsible for (and earning money
> with)  Tumblr would be serious about copyright infringement they had to
> shut down 99% of all Tumblr-blogs and this is obviously NOT part of the
> business-model.
> And from what I've seen so far I already know what will happen: The
> blog-owner gets a mail notifying him about the issue including a thread
> to shutdown his/her account.
> He/she publishes this mail on his/her blog (so well, finally something
> new and unique to blog about) and this is followed by a loud outburst of
> the Tumblr-"community" about some stupid guy (this would be me) who
> instead of being proud to be recognized by the Tumblr-community insists
> in censorship and internet fascism. Guess I could live with that and a
> few hours later the whole issue within Tumblr-folks is forgotten anyway.
> But seriously, what is he point?

The point is that you've protected your copyright, as is your right.

Of course, there's another possible outcome as well - that of someone who
has violated copyrights learning something about them.

There's a legal principle (I've heard) as well that says that if you do
nothing to enforce your copyright, you may lose the ability to enforce it
for that work down the road.  Of course, I'm not a lawyer, but I have
heard of this happening.

You have to decide what the value is to you for your copyrighted work and
whether the aggravation of having to deal with it is worth the value you
assign to your work.  Only you can make that decision.

Jim

Post a reply to this message