POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Ossified Server Time
26 Sep 2024 17:45:09 EDT (-0400)
  Ossified (Message 11 to 20 of 40)
From: Jim Holsenback
Subject: Re: Ossified
Date: 15 Jul 2011 08:39:29
Message: <4e203501$1@news.povray.org>
On 07/15/2011 07:33 AM, Invisible wrote:
> On 15/07/2011 11:11 AM, Warp wrote:
>
>> There's a certain amount of decency and respect that we should maintain
>> towards deceased people's remains, just as a cultural and psychological
>> thing.
>
> I think the whole thing is creepy as hell. On the other hand, what is
> considered "decent" and what counts for "respect" varies wildly by
> culture. I'm told there are places where it is traditional to eat the
> flesh of the deceased as a mark of respect, and to not do so would be a
> great dishonour. It makes no sense to me, but then I'm not from that
> culture...

Oh hey ... don't get me wrong, no disrespect intended towards any
cultures death rituals in any way shape or form. But really since it's
only a shell, I just have a tough time wrapping my head around all the
fuss some of these rituals entail. LOL ... have any of you been to a
full blown Irish wake? Not witnessed this example personally, but I've
heard tell of propping up the open coffin in the corner whilst the rest
proceed to get blasted. BTW: no slam intended with my choice of example
... there just might been a drop or two of Irish blood in these old
veins ;-)

Post a reply to this message