POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Ossified : Re: Ossified Server Time
26 Sep 2024 23:36:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ossified
From: andrel
Date: 15 Jul 2011 15:23:56
Message: <4E2093CD.10707@gmail.com>
On 15-7-2011 7:54, Warp wrote:
> Darren New<dne### [at] sanrrcom>  wrote:
>> It's a rather cool place. Go see it if you're ever in Rome. The whole place
>> is decorated with the bones of many centuries worth of dead monks.
>
>    Isn't that quite disrespectful of the dead?

I don't think it is. As others have remarked, different cultures have
different ideas about these things.
I think the monks would see it in the same light as I would think about
leaving my body to science. But even here that meets with various
and dissect my body, think they would honour my last request, some
however are dead against it.
In 'Stiff' that funny book by the incomparable Mary Roach, she tells
that there is a university in Italy where they have a display of all the
heads of the former heads of the anatomy department. That would probably
match this example in creepiness for many here. Yet, I think it is a
great custom, to keep the former heads 'alive'. Just as making a
chandelier from bones of your former congregation members* keeps them
with you all the time.
Besides, if they hadn't done that, the bones would now be gone. (One
thing is certain however, these people did not believe in the rapture,
as it would take some time to find your own bones. Of course they
didn't, the concept was not invented yet, but that is another story.)

*) from the description in wiki I understand that the bones are not all
from monks.

--
Apparently you can afford your own dictator for less than 10 cents per
citizen per day.