POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Ossified : Re: Ossified Server Time
26 Sep 2024 23:38:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ossified
From: Francois Labreque
Date: 15 Jul 2011 08:55:12
Message: <4e2038b0$1@news.povray.org>

> Darren New<dne### [at] sanrrcom>  wrote:
>> It's a rather cool place. Go see it if you're ever in Rome. The whole place
>> is decorated with the bones of many centuries worth of dead monks.
>
>    Isn't that quite disrespectful of the dead?

Different cultures have different traditions, I guess.

For example, when visiting Austria, I was quite surprised by the choices
of sculptures people used to put on tombstones.  Instead of showing the
dead at their best, there were multitudes or old, sickly, and frail
people, skulls with snakes crawling in and out of the bones, etc...  It
looked like what you'd find in a cartoon depiction of Dracula's castle,
or a death metal album cover.