POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Ossified : Re: Ossified Server Time
26 Sep 2024 23:38:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ossified
From: Mike the Elder
Date: 15 Jul 2011 09:15:01
Message: <web.4e203be24881baa385627c70@news.povray.org>
Jim Holsenback <nom### [at] nomailcom> wrote:
> On 07/15/2011 07:33 AM, Invisible wrote:
> > On 15/07/2011 11:11 AM, Warp wrote:
> >
> >> There's a certain amount of decency and respect that we should maintain
> >> towards deceased people's remains, just as a cultural and psychological
> >> thing.
> >
> > I think the whole thing is creepy as hell. On the other hand, what is
> > considered "decent" and what counts for "respect" varies wildly by
> > culture. I'm told there are places where it is traditional to eat the
> > flesh of the deceased as a mark of respect, and to not do so would be a
> > great dishonour. It makes no sense to me, but then I'm not from that
> > culture...
>
> Oh hey ... don't get me wrong, no disrespect intended towards any
> cultures death rituals in any way shape or form. But really since it's
> only a shell, I just have a tough time wrapping my head around all the
> fuss some of these rituals entail. LOL ... have any of you been to a
> full blown Irish wake? Not witnessed this example personally, but I've
> heard tell of propping up the open coffin in the corner whilst the rest
> proceed to get blasted. BTW: no slam intended with my choice of example
> ... there just might been a drop or two of Irish blood in these old
> veins ;-)

My own personal ethnic background (which is not something I focus on much at all
in terms of my own self-concept) happens to be 50% Polish in two seperate
quarters. I always hear the follwing joke at least once at every wedding or
funeral:

(SILLY ETHNIC HUMOR WARNING: If it bothers you, turn away now.)

Q: What's the difference between a Polish wedding and a Polish Funeral?
A: One less drunk.

My Irish friends tell me we stole that joke from them.

May you be in Heaven a full three rounds before the Devil knows you've eaten
your last pierogi,

Mike C.