POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A kind of revolution is happening in the United States Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:27:18 EDT (-0400)
  A kind of revolution is happening in the United States (Message 393 to 402 of 452)
From: andrel
Subject: Re: A kind of revolution is happening in the United States
Date: 25 Apr 2011 17:16:50
Message: <4DB5E4C4.7000704@gmail.com>
On 25-4-2011 23:11, Darren New wrote:
> On 4/25/2011 12:28, andrel wrote:
>> That is exactly the sort of evidence I would refuse to believe ;)
>
> That seems odd to me. You're saying that if someone came up with
> scientific-quality evidence that we're all living in a computer
> simulation being run by someone else, or that the big bang was actually
> initiated and structured on purpose by someone trying to survive the
> previous Big Crunch, you simply wouldn't believe that? Even if one
> gathered as much evidence in favor of one of those as there is in favor
> of evolution?

Yes

> That's weird to me.

Oh no, not again!

--
Apparently you can afford your own dictator for less than 10 cents per
citizen per day.

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 25 Apr 2011 17:24:47
Message: <4db5e69f@news.povray.org>
> If I open my eyes and say "I believe the sun is up already", and then I get
> out of bed and open the curtain and it's all bright and blue sky out, would
> you really say "I no longer believe the sun is up"?

  Basically you are stating that there are only two options: Belief and
disbelief. However, it's not a dichotomy. The third option is what you
yourself stated in your post: Certainty (which can be either positive or
negative, so technically speaking there are actually four options).

  Of course in practice is even more fine-grained than that, as there are
many degrees of belief. Even worse, there can be many degress of certainty
(for example gravity and your spouse's love for you are two things you
usually are pretty certain of, even though the first case is physically
testable while in the latter case you just have to take your spouse's word
for it, and there's actually no way to prove it definitely).

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

On Mon, 25 Apr 2011 23:16:52 +0200, andrel wrote:

> On 25-4-2011 23:11, Darren New wrote:
>> On 4/25/2011 12:28, andrel wrote:
>>> That is exactly the sort of evidence I would refuse to believe ;)
>>
>> That seems odd to me. You're saying that if someone came up with
>> scientific-quality evidence that we're all living in a computer
>> simulation being run by someone else, or that the big bang was actually
>> initiated and structured on purpose by someone trying to survive the
>> previous Big Crunch, you simply wouldn't believe that? Even if one
>> gathered as much evidence in favor of one of those as there is in favor
>> of evolution?
>
> Yes
>
>> That's weird to me.
>
> Oh no, not again!