From: Warp
Date: 25 Apr 2011 17:24:47
Message: <4db5e69f@news.povray.org>
> If I open my eyes and say "I believe the sun is up already", and then I get
> out of bed and open the curtain and it's all bright and blue sky out, would
> you really say "I no longer believe the sun is up"?

  Basically you are stating that there are only two options: Belief and
disbelief. However, it's not a dichotomy. The third option is what you
yourself stated in your post: Certainty (which can be either positive or
negative, so technically speaking there are actually four options).

  Of course in practice is even more fine-grained than that, as there are
many degrees of belief. Even worse, there can be many degress of certainty
(for example gravity and your spouse's love for you are two things you
usually are pretty certain of, even though the first case is physically
testable while in the latter case you just have to take your spouse's word
for it, and there's actually no way to prove it definitely).

--
                                                          - Warp