POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A kind of revolution is happening in the United States Server Time
31 Jul 2024 02:23:35 EDT (-0400)
  A kind of revolution is happening in the United States (Message 131 to 140 of 452)
From: Alain
Subject: Re: A kind of revolution is happening in the United States
Date: 14 Apr 2011 15:53:18
Message: <4da750ae@news.povray.org>
Le 2011/04/14 12:53, Jim Henderson a écrit :
> On Thu, 14 Apr 2011 08:23:35 +0100, Stephen wrote:
>

>>> It's a fairly fine distinction, I think.
>>>

>> Not that fine IMO
>
> How so?
>
> Jim

You can beleive something based on knowlege, but you can also beleive in
something outside of any knowlege.

Strictly, beleif don't need to rely on knowlege and knowlege don't lead
to beleiving.

Alain

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 14 Apr 2011 16:06:50
Message: <4da753da@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 14 Apr 2011 15:53:16 -0400, Alain wrote:

> You can beleive something based on knowlege, but you can also beleive in
> something outside of any knowlege.
>
> Strictly, beleif don't need to rely on knowlege and knowlege don't lead
> to beleiving.

I can see that - and in the broader discussion of what is antithetical to
knowledge, "faith" is a better answer than "belief".

But belief and faith are similar if belief isn't based on knowledge; the
'fine distinction' I'm referring to is that faith implies no (need for)
knowledge, whereas belief has no such inference.

I guess in some ways it depends on which definition of 'belief' you're
using (much the same as my earlier discussion on the proper usage of
'theory' by creationists).

OED says there are several definitions; the definition that requires
knowledge (or one of them, in any event) has to do with 'mental
acceptance of a proposition, statement, or fact, as true, on the ground
of authority or evidence.'.  That differs from definitions pertaining to
religious belief, or the 'trust in God'.

Jim

Post a reply to this message